Monday 10 June 2019

ALBUM REVIEW: I_CON by De Staat

Image result for I_CON de staat album coverI_CON... more like CON_I go now?

I_CON is the third studio album from Dutch alternative rock band De Staat. If we use this album to test out the brand new Devil's Empirical Score Guide™ (Editor's Note: Yeah I no longer have the Devil's Empirical Score Guide™), I'd put this as "shows promise". The first song absolutely subverted my expectations. To start your album off with a 19 second clip of your guitarist screwing up the opening of the song in an acoustic manner to transition perfectly into the actual song and then unload rock music on me. At that point, it had set me up good and ready to take it in.... then it went and it went and it went. It took a decline after the opening song, which I have seen before. Despite some good songs that were in the album later, the damage had already been made, what with there being some odd songs that didn't sound right and that dreaded dragging feeling. All in all, the first song is actually really good, but the curtain doesn't match the drapes.

Devil's Score: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment