Wednesday 22 May 2019

ALBUM REVIEW: Trench by Twenty One Pilots

Image result for trench album coverWelcome to my most polarizing album experience. Now, I've listened to this twice by now. Once when Angel and I were in a hotel, and a second time when I've been at my PC listening to it with headphones. The thing is, I love the album, but I'm torn. In my heart, I feel this album is a 10, but in my head, it's pulling it a bit down, so hopefully, this review helps me decide specifically. "Jumpsuit"/"Levitate" are both great songs with a great transition between the two. Both are hype and easily some of my faves from this year. "Morph" is a bit of a weird one, but it has some sort of European rap beat behind it, quite like Cro. Either way, it has a beautiful hook and I enjoy the melody. The best thing to say about "My Blood" is that it is my favourite song of 2018, hands down. The bass line and falsetto are orgasmic. "Chlorine" has a great hook and good beats but does drag itself out for quite long and changes pace a bit that throws you off a bit. "Smithereens" is a great beat with a nice falsetto and a lovely light melody as well.
"Neon Gravestones" slows the album right down, but has a great message inside it and quite nice vocals with effects. "The Hype" is a hype song, which reminded me of the Britpop days, quite like Oasis to be fair, also the chorus for this is really good. "Nico and the Niners" is a really good song with great use of ukulele and just solid all around. "Cut My Lip" is a great off-beat song with a good bassline and a memorable hook as well. "Bandito" is a good slow song with airy vocals and a nice beat, but verses seem a bit out of time. "Pet Cheetah", although changes a bit through the song, has one of the roughest beats ever to the point that it can give people heart attacks. It's ruthless and aggressive and I like it. "Legend" has another European rap backing but has a great falsetto and a nice piano melody. Finally, "Leave The City" is a trademark finishing song, but for the life of me, it cucks you when it seems that it's building a massive climax, but cuts it off as it's about to drop. Perhaps representing something, but "Leave The City" still performs well, I was just hoping for a lasting song similar to "Goner" from Blurryface or "Trees" from Vessels. All in all, after reviewing it all and listening to it again, I think I'm gonna have to break the scale.

Devil's Score: 9.5 (EDITOR'S NOTE: Hi Again. This was later bumped up to a 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment